Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Move over Mother T..

I did something good today.

I am not a saint by any means, I am not even sure sometimes if I am a nice person (I mean I know I can be better). I do alot for other people but those other people are nearly always someone I care about.

I am not one of those people that goes and raises awareness for important things, nor would I be any good at collecting money on the street. I once wanted to volunteer to help others, to show people that all these tragedies that are thrown our way in life are tests to see what kind of people we will become but after alot of searching and not knowing where to even start volunteering, I gave up. I sometimes pass people begging in the street and give them some change but I am not one who dwells on their sorrow.

But Today I made someone smile. I did a good thing and you know whats even better I felt so good for doing the small thing!

Today I ventured into a fast food outlet (do not judge me, I have been at the gym nearly every night recently), While waiting for the snooty cow with graces beyond herself behind the counter to serve me, a homeless man came to the counter. He asked the manager behind the counter how much two muffins were (€1.90 each incase your wondering), he counted out his change and was short 10 cents which he promptly told the Manager he could only have one. I couldn't believe that the Manager was going to take back the other one for 10 CENTS, yes just 10 CENTS!!

So I passed over the 10 cent. The man profusely thanked me and went to take a seat BUT the glare of some people in this restaraunt was enough for the manager to step out from behind counter and tell the man that Muffins were for take-away only. If you or I bought a muffin I could have sat there for hours eating it and reading a book but because this man had nowhere else to go, he was told leave.

Now as I said, normally I probably wouldn't have batted an eyelid, not that I wouldn't care but I try to stay out of any situations that do not concern me. But today I actually felt my breath catch when I heard the Manager say this. I felt so sorry for this man and he only looked at the Manager, apologised and got up to leave.

I was actually sickened to the pit of my stomach that our society could look on someone with such content. The lady beside me was muttering something to the sound of 'good riddance' to her friend.

I saw him walk, shoulders down towards the exit, when something took over me. I had just been handed my food by the snooty cow behind the counter so I walked (no actually practically ran to the exit), I handed the man my bag of food and told him to sit down and take his time to enjoy it.
I knew all eyes in the place were staring at me but I just didn't care.

People get down on their luck, not everyone who is homeless or drunk or on drugs are dangerous, I am sure I live near many 'normal' people that have homes but have problems with drink and drugs and are basically just down on their luck.

When I left I remembered a film called 'Pay it Forward' about a boy who does a nice thing for someone who in return has to do a nice thing for three other people and so on and so on and it made me think that if I posted my day here and told ye all how fantastic this feeling is, then maybe just maybe someone may read it and smile at the next person and maybe someones day will be brighter. Or maybe they will just remember that a smile cost nothing and no matter, where the person is, no matter what they look like, no matter how they smell, that person is 'Somebodies Someone'.... That person has someone somewhere who loves them.... and maybe someday it could happen to your 'someone' and you would at least like to think, wherever they are, someone smiles at them!

The is a true story... FACT!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hats off to you BB!! I think thats a great thing you did! People do get down on their luck. First of all for refusing him a second muffin for 10 cents that manager is a tool. Secondly I bet you felt like you did a great thng.

Was he allowed sit down then and eat?

Anonymous said...

ps its LG!

BB's Corner said...

He was indeed because he couldn't be thrown out with food if he wasn't causing any trouble :-)
Ya it felt great!

Anonymous said...

shanna here.

Good for you, shame shame on the manager you most likely restored a little self worth to that gentleman, thank you.

Anonymous said...

Well done it makes me think sometimes I should have done similar. Women are stronger in this situation

Anonymous said...

Well done BB!!! Its the best feeling in the world helping someone out whether u know them or not! The Manager should be ashamed of himself. I bet he had a good think that night

Well done hun
Mol

Anonymous said...

Nice one!! Bet that man thinks of you so kindly- good for you for not being a sheep and following the crowd!!